- Join the Massey Alliance
The Massey Alliance is a group of young professionals who raise awareness of and support for the research, resources, and programs at VCU Massey Cancer Center. Through volunteerism, community outreach and fundraising, the Alliance expresses its strong support for the people and programs at Massey.
Since its formation in 2002, the Alliance has evolved into an over 40-member junior board under the Massey Cancer Center Advisory Board, as well as an ever-expanding group of more than 500 volunteers. Through its events, outreach, and fundraising, the Alliance forms a foundation of philanthropy, that will benefit Massey Cancer Center for years to come.
To join or to recommend a friend for membership, please complete our Massey Alliance Interest Form . You will receive regular emails about volunteer opportunities, special events and updates about Massey and the Alliance. If you have questions, please contact TeamMassey@vcu.edu or visit the Massey Alliance Facebook page.
The Massey Alliance combined fun and philanthropy to raise money, awareness and provide important volunteer support for Massey through:
- Fundraising: The Massey Alliance donates all proceeds from its events throughout the year directly to the Massey Cancer Center. The Masey Alliance raises funds through signature events such as Massey on the River and Richmond Brunch Weekend, as well as their Team Massey Alliance fundraising page.
- Volunteerism: The Massey Alliance Board Members and the Massey Alliance support numerous events benefiting Massey, including the Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k, Women & Wellness Forum Series and more. The Alliance is always looking for passionate and dedicated volunteers; please take a look at our fun and rewarding volunteer opportunities.
- Community outreach: Outreach projects include collections of items for patients and families, "Mosaic of Hope," which is the tile-painting project and display for the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, support of the Palliative Care Unit therapy dog, Renny, and annual support of at least one family during the holiday season.
- Community awareness: The members of the Massey Alliance are charged with helping to raise awareness for VCU Massey Cancer Center as an important local and national institution for cancer research and patient care. Alliance members can be found at various events such as the 17th Street Farmer’s Market, throughout the year promoting research and patient care.
- Massey Alliance Events
Throughout the year, the Massey Alliance hosts several events to raise funds and awareness for Massey Cancer Center, as well as provide great networking opportunities for other passionate young professionals in the Richmond area.
Massey Alliance Events:
Appetizers & Advocacy, May 14, 2019
Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
2408-2410 Ownby Lane, Richmond, VA 23220
Tara Daudani, mother of two, was diagnosed with stage 3 triple negative breast cancer at age 37. In celebration of Mother's Day, she'll be sharing her story about how she found balance as a cancer patient, wife, mom and working professional. Joining Tara will be her radiation oncologist, Douglas Arthur, M.D., the Florence and Hyman Meyers Endowed Chair in Radiation Oncology. This event is free and open to the public.
Massey on the River - September 20, 2019
Guests who attend Massey on the River will be treated to the lively tunes of Three Sheets to the Wind, enjoy delicious bites and beverages, and bid on enticing silent auction items--all along the backdrop of the James River.
Richmond Brunch Weekend, March 2020
Four five years, Richmond Brunch Weekend has raised tens of thousands of dollars for cancer research. Each March, more than 50 restaurants agree to donate at least 15% of their brunch proceeds back to VCU Massey Cancer Center.
Follow the Massey Alliance Facebook page for updates about upcoming events, or check back soon for more information.
- Massey Alliance Board Members
2018-2019 Massey Alliance Board Officers
Meg Irvin – President
Sara Woznicki – President Elect
Abbey Withrow – Immediate Past President
Margot Adams McDonald – Secretary
2018-2019 Massey Alliance Board Members
Gary LeClair, Jr.
Michelle Adcock, Massey Cancer Center Development Board Liaison
- Massey Alliance Quick Links
The Massey Alliance serves as a group of dedicated volunteers who share Massey Cancer Center's mission, achievements and upcoming events with their peers. Below are important links to ensure that our members are informed and armed to serve as positive advocates for Massey Cancer Center.
The Massey Alliance Facebook page is the best way to get the most up-to-date information about Massey Alliance events, promotions and news about Massey Cancer Center. Don't forget to use #MasseyAlliance when attending our events!
The blog is where you will find great articles on Massey researchers and the impact their work is making in our community and beyond.
Massey Alliance in action
For assistance accessing information related to our programs, please contact Michelle Adcock.