Treatment for a parathyroid tumor
Specific treatment for a parathyroid tumor will be determined by your physician based on:
- Your age, overall health and medical history.
- Extent of the disease.
- Your tolerance of specific medicines, procedures or therapies.
- Expectations for the course of the disease.
- Your opinion, preference or goals.
Treatment may include:
- Surgery – to remove the tumor.
- External radiation (external beam therapy) – a treatment that precisely sends high levels of radiation directly to the cancer cells. The machine is controlled by the radiation therapist. Since radiation is used to kill cancer cells and to shrink tumors, special shields may be used to protect the tissue surrounding the treatment area. Radiation treatments are painless and usually last a few minutes.